Searching for the right karaoke machine may take a little time due to the wide range of applications and variations in the equipment. There is much to research to get the best karaoke machine for your situation. That is why reading our reviews will help you out! We’ve done all the work for you.
So, I’ve been on both sides of the fence; singing at home with a personal Karaoke machine for practice and singing in public on a professional machine. In this article, I will break down the best karaoke machines for use at home or small commercial setups.
There are so many great Karaoke machines out there these days, with fun features and superb sound capabilities. Read carefully through the top karaoke machine reviews because this list may help you decide which machine may be right for your situation.
Our Top 3 Picks
- The positive points in buying the Memorex MKS-SS2 SingStand 2 Karaoke machine would be that you can move the machine around easily, without needing your own television or speakers. Everything is easily accessible and kept in one place.
- You do not need to fumble around with trying to hook up wires or get the right sound quality through your own audio system. It is all right in the machine.
- The price point for this machine is a great value for what you are getting. It is inexpensive and all the hardware is included.
- The machine is a bit bulky to transport from home to home but is doable. It would probably be best to leave it in your home and move around from room to room if needed.
- You will need to provide all music yourself.
The Memorex MKS-SS2 SingStand 2 is a karaoke system that you would use at home, or that you could transport to a friend’s home if you desired. It is an all-in-one system. The microphone, monitor, and speakers are all incorporated and held on a tall microphone stand. This machine will be sure to please at home Karaoke parties or kids birthday parties. There is no need to use your own television or speakers, so it is versatile enough to use in any room, or even outdoors.
This machine weighs in at 9.3 lbs. with measurements of 8.5 x 8.5 x 14.5 inches. There is some assembly required with this Karaoke machine.
The Memorex MKS-SS2 SingStand 2 allows you to sing right on the spot, without the use of any outside equipment other than your provided song source. There is a tray underneath the monitor that holds your MP3 player, tablet, or smartphone for easy hookup. Any device with a headphone jack can be used along with this Karaoke machine.
An added benefit of the Memorex MKS-SS2 SingStand 2, would be that it has a jack for outside instrument hook up. You can hook in an accompanying guitar or keyboard and the sound will be incorporated along with your singing and your background music. This is a fun way to be able to have added background sounds.
This unit holds two 5 watt speakers in the base of the stand. It delivers crisp, clean sound that will be heard throughout the room. If you hook up an extra instrument, this will be heard as well. The speakers can be heard even if you are not singing, which is a bonus if you need to have a speaker to play music from a small device, such as for a party or as your own personal stereo.
In summary, the Memorex MKS-SS2 SingStand 2 is an inexpensive way to practice your tunes or sing for fun in your home. It is a good Karaoke machine for someone that can download their own music for singing and for someone that is not all that concerned about the volume or professionalism of their music. The small speakers is a little limiting, but for a hobby or amateur singer, it may be the best Karaoke machine out there for the value.
- The MicroKY Duostar is totally portable. It weighs a total of six pounds.
- This lightweight Karaoke machine allows the use of your own photos or video to be transferred as the background of your Karaoke songs.
- Even though it is a Karaoke machine that is hooked up to your own television set, it produces a rich audio output.
- The sound can always be amplified by hooking up your own surround sound through your television.
- You can record your vocal performance to MP3 format, allowing playback on other devices.
- The MicroKY Duostar comes preprogrammed with 5,000 songs with instrumental versions such as pianos, drums, trumpets and much more.
- The music is not that of a professional Karaoke quality, however. They are reproductions of originals, therefore the instrumentals may be a little compromised.
- The lyrics are sometimes misspelled or incorrect, as well.
- Another drawback is that the echo control cannot be adjusted on microphones.
The MicroKY Duostar portable Karaoke machine is one of the best on the market today. You will want to take this system with you when visiting friends or going on trips. With features like changing the background to incorporate your own photos, it will sure to be a hit at any party. It is easy to hook up to any high-definition television for practice at any time. It boasts two wireless microphones for trying duets, a USB port for saving your performance, and a recording feature to keep those songs for sharing and reminiscing at a later time.
The MicroKY Duostar Karaoke machine reviews are mostly positive from around the internet. It has a 4/5 rating on Amazon and is in the top 25 for portable music units. This 6-pound unit is able to connect to TV with HDMI and RCA input (NTSC/PAL). It is to be plugged into any 110V wall outlet.
This is a great machine to bring on the road. It can be hooked up easily to any television set, and you have the songs programmed right in the machine so there is no need to transport CDs. It has fun features, such as using your own pictures or video on the screen. And you can record your performance, which is always a plus.
In conclusion, while a bit pricey, you are getting more than you realize. You have the machine, two microphones, and all the music. It is compact enough to fit in a small bag, for easy carrying. It is one of the best Karaoke machines in a portable unit to use for practice at any time.
Electrohome EAKAR 300
- The Electrohome EAKAR 300 has a funky blue light right on the machine, giving it a “rock star” appeal.
- Turn off the lights in your home and enjoy the ambiance as you sing.
- The machine is compact and does not take up a lot of space.
- The Auto Voice Control (AVC) singing coach feature is a big help if you are shy or nervous about singing in front of others. This allows you to listen to someone else singing the song, and you can jump in when you feel more confident.
- The Electrohome EAKAR 300 has several sound control features on the machine, allowing you to adjust the sound to your liking. This is a big plus for those that wish to sound more professional, and the volume and echo controls can really help in that aspect.
- There is only one microphone included with the Electrohome EAKAR 300, so duets will not be able to be tried unless you purchase an extra microphone.
- While this is a disadvantage, it is made up by the fact that the machine is inexpensive for the quality you will get.
- You will need to buy your own Karaoke CDs to play, or you can hook up a MP3, Smartphone or Tablet and play your own downloaded material.
- Unfortunately, this machine does not allow for recording of your performance.
If you are new on the Karaoke scene, you may wish to try a unit like the Electrohome EAKAR 300. This is a home use karaoke machine that can be hooked into your television set. This machine has an Auto Voice Control (AVC) singing coach feature, which kicks in should you forget how a particular song should be sung. The machine can distinguish when your voice tapers off and then recorded vocals will take over, allowing you to hear the proper way of singing the song.
This machine is definitely a home system. It hooks up easily to your television set with 3 RCA audio/video cables. The benefits of purchasing this system would be for the superior sound quality for such a small machine. The machine itself has its own speaker, which pumps out a surprising amount of sound for the size of the machine. If you hook it up through your own speaker system as well, you are close to having a professional grade machine right in your home.
This machine’s dimensions are 12 x 10 x 13 inches and it weighs in at 5 lbs. It comes with the following features:
- Ability to play CD/CD+G/CDR/CDRW
- Player has a built-in high-performance speaker
- Connects right to a TV for on-screen lyrics so you can sing along
- 3.5 mm auxiliary Input so that you may user MP3 Players, iPhone, iPod, iPad, smartphones, and tablets
- Audio/Video RCA cables for TV and stereo system connection included with the unit
- Includes a sample karaoke CD+G Multiplex disc with songs from various top 40 artists
- You will be able to adjust echo with the echo control feature, giving you a rich, professional sound quality
- Auto Voice Control (AVC) singing coach available for CD+G disks with karaoke vocals included on the song
- Extra microphone input available for duets
The Electrohome EAKAR 300 gives off a professional sound while keeping the price affordable. It may be one of the best Karaoke machines for home use while giving value. The setup is easy, and the output is that which would be used at Karaoke at a night on the town. This is a wonderful system for practice.
Had this machine come with a recording feature, it would have surpassed other home machines on the market. However, it is still an excellent choice for both those just starting out and for those who want to practice at home.
Singing Machine iSM1028Xa
- The positive points of this machine would be the fact that it has two microphones for duets and that the vocals have all kinds of controls available to make you sound great.
- The drawbacks would be that the FM radio does not allow karaoke to be sung while it is played. It is a separate feature altogether.
The Singing Machine iSM1028Xa is a machine that is known for its superior duet capabilities. The Karaoke machine comes with two microphones, a monitor, and a stand with holders for the microphones. It includes an FM radio and two separate standalone speakers for maximum sound.
This is a home system but can be enjoyed by kids as well as adults. The fact that it has a 7″ screen included right on the stand, allows the smaller singers to see the words up close while singing.
The Singing Machine isM1028Xa is about 40 lbs., with 13.2 x 23.4 x 29.1 inches for dimensions. This Karaoke machine includes:
- Front loading CD+G deck
- 7″ embedded monitor
- Two wired microphones and holders
- Two standalone speakers
- Balance/Echo Controls
- FM Radio
- IPod Dock
- Compatible with all Karaoke programs
The Singing Machine isM1028Xa Karaoke machine has a 4/5 star rating on Amazon Karaoke machine reviews. It is the perfect home system for those that wish to practice duets. The sound controls allow you to balance the sound between speakers and increase the echo to improve the vocal output. This unit is a little bulkier than other units, but everything is contained in one area. You will not need the use of a separate monitor, although if you wish to hook it up to a bigger screen, that is always an option. You have the capability to use an Ipod, laptop, tablet or cell phone as your source for music, or you could use CD+G karaoke discs. This is a wonderful feature; having the option of either. It will allow you to have more options for song choice.
The Singing Machine isM1028Xa Karaoke machine is a little expensive compared to other machines on the market today. However, it does have separately controlled microphones which makes it one of the best Karaoke machines for duet use.
- The setup is very easy, plug it into your television and you are ready to go. The machine is preprogrammed with 2100 songs.
- The song list is decent and you have the ability to expand your song library by purchasing Magic Sing song chips.
- It is a great Karaoke system, which renders high-definition graphics and clear sound through your home entertainment system speakers.
- You can plug in a USB device with cdg or avi files on it, and they will play as Karaoke on the screen, thereby allowing you to have a lot of extra songs than what is installed.
- The audio works best when connected separately to an Audio/Video receiver or stereo system. Some television models will cause the audio to lag. An echo has also been noted when plugged into the television for audio purposes.
- When purchasing music chips, you can only buy knowing what genre the songs are. Not the individual song listings. The packaging does not tell you this
The Entertech ET19K Magic Sing Karaoke Machine is a compact portable or home machine that hooks into your television via HDMI cable. You are able to upload your own photographs or videos from a USB card to the screen, to personalize your Karaoke experience
The Entertech ET19K Magic Sing Karaoke machine has dimensions of 12.5 x 7 x 7 inches and weighs 5.4 pounds. It includes the following:
- High Definition Picture and Video Background
- High Definition Movie and Music Playback
- Two Digital Wireless Microphones
- 2,100 Pre-programmed English Songs
- Ability to Personalize Video and Picture Background
- Song Recording Capability
The Entertech ET19K Magic Sing Karaoke machine has an HDMI port which will allow high definition (HD) resolution pictures and video background by connecting to your HD television or monitor. There is also a USB port allowing you to display Karaoke on your personal computer.
This unit has prime sound and video quality. The pre-programmed songs is a huge plus for anyone purchasing this system. The portability factor is also rewarding and desirable. The price is a little high, but with the added songs it weighs out. Karaoke reviews on Amazon give this system 4 stars out of 5 possible.
Karaoke USA GF829
- Some positive points about this unit include the recording capabilities, USB port for playing your own songs on the unit, and songs included with the machine.
- The price is very reasonable for all that you get with the machine.
- The drawback is that the microphones are not wireless and must stay connected to the unit. Also, the sound is a little lacking, but with it hooked to your own system, it packs a punch.
This is a portable machine that has the capability to be hooked up to your own monitor and stereo system should you wish to make it feel more like a home unit.
The Karaoke USA (GF829) Karaoke Machine is 13.5 x 17.5 x 9.8 inches and weighs 8 pounds. It comes with the following:
- 7” Color Screen Monitor attached to the unit
- Capability to Record Voice and Music
- USB/SD Card Slot for playing your own songs and recording new ones
- Balance and Digital Echo Controls
This karaoke machine is sleek and has a color monitor that can be easily seen from across the room. It comes with 300 songs in MP3G format, on disk. The machine can play any CDG or DVD Karaoke machine, allowing you to expand your collection. You can also watch a DVD movie on the unit if desired. You have the capability to hook the machine to your television monitor and stereo system to turn a portable machine into a home system.
This machine is a great value. It is currently ranked as the Best Karaoke Machine that Amazon has to offer with a rating of #1 in the category of Portable Karaoke Machines. The entire package is very desirable and the price is right. Hands down, it is a winner.
Akai KS808 CD+G Karaoke System
- The Karaoke can be played from CG+G or DVD format. You are able to use your own songs through USB, as well.
- The unit allows for recording, to hear your song again and again.
- The machine can record, but only when you use CD+Gs/DVDs.
- The recording feature with music that you use from your USB will not allow recording.
The Akai KS808 is a home system that is constructed in a pedestal like format. The screen is right on the top of the unit for easy viewing. It is has everything you need, right in the unit. Can be stored easily in a corner or closet. When you bring it out, let the fun begin.
The Akai KS808 Karaoke system measures 29.2 x 19.6 x 18.9 inches and weighs in at 29 pounds. Features include:
- 7-Inch Color TFT Screen
- USB Record & Playback
- Line-in Function
- Built-in Speaker
- Includes 1 CD+G Demo Disc and 1 Microphone
The Akai KS808 Karaoke machine all the features a Karaoke singer would need to be able to practice or entertain. It is all included on the unit itself, making it more of a portable machine than a home machine. It can, however, be hooked up to home televisions or stereo speakers and becomes more of a professional unit.
This is a great machine for the price. It is at average pricing but has many features such as microphone controls, a disc of songs and the capabilities to record and play songs you purchase externally. Your next party may be a fun one if you bring this machine out to meet your guests!
If you have never tried singing Karaoke before, you are missing out on a fun way to sing current songs while entertaining others. I am a KJ (Karaoke DJ) and I enjoy seeing others belt out a tune in a bar atmosphere. I used to be one of them. I would sign up with the KJ and await my turn to be a star. You would get nervous until you were up there singing.
Seeing people get into the music, watching you entertain them, that would make you want to try again and again to surpass your performance. You would look up new songs, practice them at home, and then try them out on your new Karaoke friends. It really is an exhilarating experience.
- The positive points would include that the machine can play CDs, CD+Gs, DVDs, and MP3 formats.
- You can use this machine as a DVD player for watching movies if desired.
- The sound output is of excellent quality, making it perfect for movie watching, as well as for Karaoke.
- The drawback would be that it is just a Karaoke machine without any of the extras included. You would need to purchase all music, microphones, speakers, and monitor. The unit is just that; a Karaoke unit.
VocoPro is a well-known professional Karaoke equipment provider and is one of the top companies out there today in the professional Karaoke field. They provide all kinds of attachments and extras, their own line of microphones, as well as Karaoke units that have all the bells and whistles. The VocoPro DVX-668K is one of these units. You will be amazed at the sound quality that this unit can give.
This is a fully functioning professional grade system which can be used to DJ your own Karaoke in public if wanted. You can use it as a home system on a professional level. This is a system that would be purchased by someone very serious about Karaoke.
The VocoPro DVX-668K has dimensions of 23 x 21 x 21 inches and is 5 lbs in weight. It features the following:
- Multi-format disc player can read DVD, CD, CD+G, MP3, And DivX media
- Playback of digital audio and video files via USB
- Two microphone 1/4-inch input channels with volume control
- 5.1 channel digital surround sound
- Digital echo for giving a professional sound
- ±16 step digital key control
- Remote control
- PAL/NTSC compatible for use in all countries
- LED display
The VocoPro DVX-668K allows for the playback of all types of media and can be used with all formats of all countries. There is a disc player for the playback of disc media, as well as a USB port for an external hard drive or MP3/cellphone/tablet/laptop playback. The machine offers echo control, which gives the singer the opportunity to sound their absolute best. It also has individual sound control for the microphones, allowing one to be louder than the other.
All-in-all this is a decent machine for singing Karaoke. The price can’t be beaten. Many professional grade machines cost at least ten times the amount of this unit. For a professional unit, it is extremely inexpensive. Karaoke machine reviews on Amazon show a 4-5 star rating for the bulk of reviews. This is definitely one to give a try.
Singing Machine SML-383P
- The positive points would be that you are able to use two microphones, each with its own output for separate volume control.
- It is compact, cute, and easy to hook up.
- The drawbacks include the fact there is only one microphone included with the unit.
- Also, there is no USB port, which means the only way Karaoke music can be played, is by CD+G disc. You will need to purchase all your music this way.
The Singing Machine SML-383P comes in a pink color and is perfect for children’s Karaoke. It has light features which are called “Disco”, which are LED lights that give a festive feel when singing your Karaoke songs. The machine can be hooked up to your television set and allows CD+G disc playback.
This is a kids machine. It is housed in a plastic pink enclosure and has features that would appeal to the younger folk.
The Singing Machine SML-383P has dimensions of 7.7 x 13.2 x 16.3 inches and weighs 6.8 pounds. Its features include:
- Disco lights to give a party feel every time you sing
- Sideloading CD+G disc tray
- Video output for playback on an external television monitor
- Two microphone jacks with separate volume controls
- One microphone included with the machine
The Singing Machine SML-383P is a compact little machine that does the job. It allows Karaoke to be played on your television monitor. It does not do that much for sound, as it is a small kids unit, but you can hook it up to your television and use the speakers there. You could also hook it up to your own speakers if you are looking for better sound quality. Since it is a kids machine, this is not as important as the playback and microphone capabilities. The microphones can each be adjusted to their own volume level, separate from the background music volume level. The machine allows the playing of regular CDs if you want to use it as a CD player when not using for Karaoke. The disco lights are a fun added feature, perfect to get your child in the mood to give a performance.
This machine is fine for children. It is not the quality that a home system would give, but for children, it does what it is supposed to do, easily, while making it seem like fun. The price is average for this type of unit, so it can make a great gift for a lucky child who likes singing.
What is a Karaoke Machine?
The word “Karaoke” means empty (kara) orchestra (oke). Karaoke is a form of entertainment where a person is able to sing along with a music track without vocals on a microphone for others to enjoy. It is often done in bar/restaurants and has a fun atmosphere for all attending. The lyrics are able to be read from a monitor, with color lighting up each word as it is supposed to be sung out loud. A Karaoke machine is used to put this music on screen, and the music is transmitted through speakers for all to hear. The microphone will be used to amplify the singer’s voice.
Why Buy A Karaoke Machine?
Purchasing your own machine is an excellent idea for those that are avid singers and Karaoke dwellers. Many Karaoke singers go to several different “shows” to showcase their talent. They thrive on trying new songs and mastering them to their own personal level of perfection. Buying a machine would allow you to practice your set list on your own time without the embarrassment of poor performance publicly. This allows you to master the song before going public. People who do not sing in public may wish to have a Karaoke machine for their own use for entertainment at home. Karaoke is fun to try at parties or with a few friends. It is a relaxing hobby that can be done at any time.
There are a few different types of Karaoke machines to consider when buying. Home systems are hooked up to your television or computer monitor and allow you to try your singing while relaxing in the comfort of your home. Portable machines are small, lightweight, and can be brought wherever you want. Kids machines are built to be able to withstand a little more jostling around since children are not always as careful with electronics as adults. Professional machines have many features and are designed more for the sound quality.
What to Look For When Buying a Karaoke Machine
When buying a Karaoke machine, sound quality will be of the utmost importance. No one will enjoy singing if they don’t sound good at all. Any Karaoke machine with the ability to tweak the sound is a plus.
Microphone style is another thing to take into consideration. Look for a microphone that is ergonomically comfortable for you to hold, lightweight, with a good sound output. The Singing Machine isM1028Xa Karaoke machine offers these features.
Some Karaoke machines have monitors included right with the unit, such as the Karaoke USA (GF829) Karaoke Machine. Others are constructed to be hooked into an external source for viewing, such as a computer monitor or television set. The monitor will need to be big enough to read the words to the songs comfortably without needing to squint.
Another consideration when looking for the best Karaoke machine would be the source of the music. There are machines that have the music pre-installed, as in the Entertech ET19K Magic Sing Karaoke Machine, allowing you to pick from a predetermined list. Other machines will require that you buy songs in CD+G, MP4, or DVD format.
Extra features would include sound control, ability to upload your own backgrounds to songs, the ability to add more songs to your library, and the ability to record your performance, as offered with the MicroKY Duostar Karaoke Machine.
You would need to decide what type of Karaoke machine matches your usage requirements. You can choose from a home system, a portable machine, a machine for children, or a professional system.
Sometimes people prefer specific brands over others. If there is a brand that is well-known, it is thought to be trusted more than no-name brands. However, there are some promising machines made with names that are not as mainstream.
Price is always a consideration. Professional machines are the high-end when purchasing, while children’s machines will be cheapest. Home and portable machines are in the middle.
Karaoke Machine FAQ
Q: How Can You Get The Best Sound From A Karaoke System?
A: Sound is very important. If you do not sound good, chances are you won’t even want to try singing karaoke again. The first few experiences you have will be what make or break your karaoke future. A Karaoke machine offering echo control will help you sound your best. One machine offering echo control is the Electrohome EAKAR 300 Karaoke Machine. It is a good idea to not hold the microphone close to your mouth, as well. The causes feedback and voice distortion.
Q: Where Can I Find Music For My Machine?
A: Different machines accept different forms of media. A CD+G disc is one that has both sound and visuals embedded within. A DVD Karaoke disc can be played in a Karaoke machine with DVD playback. These types of discs can be purchased online or in any entertainment store that sells music CDs. Many machines now play music in MP3 and AVI formats. These files can be bought online from Karaoke music companies and downloaded on your own external source to plug into your machine. Some internet companies where you can download music include http://www.singsnap.com/ or http://www.karaokewh.com/
Making The Decision
When making your final decision on what type of Karaoke machine you want to buy, you need to focus on what machine would work best for your situation. Do not skimp and buy something less than what your use needs will be. Weigh all options. You will most likely want to get the best value for what you are purchasing.
Think about the different forms of media that can be used to playback Karaoke songs. If you are more interested in obtaining songs via Internet, you will definitely want a machine with a USB port.
Machines with two microphone outputs are needed if you intend on singing duets. Look for a machine with dual microphones included, if possible. Microphones with their own echo, balance, and volume really help make your performance top-notch.
If you are just looking for a cheap machine and not all that interested in the extras, you can skimp a little on things like background photo uploading and recording.
If you are looking more for a machine for children, get one with lights if possible. These will make things exciting for kids when they get up and sing. Look for a machine that seems durable enough to withstand a little rough handling. Intricate pieces would not be recommended.
The portability factor is one of the main things you will want to consider. If you want to use your machine on the go, you will want something more portable. If you intend on staying in one area to do your singing, you will want a home or professional system.
All in all the decision is yours. Since there are so many different variables it is hard to pinpoint one unit as being the best Karaoke machine. The best for one person may not be the best for another. Reading Karaoke machine reviews can really help. If nothing else, you will get a sense of what types of machines are available on the market today. Read the pros and cons. Eventually, make the decision. And sing, sing, sing!